Monday, September 1, 2014

Packing and Arriving

             Have you ever tried to pack for an entire semester in two suitcases? I have and let me tell you it is not fun. I thought that I had everything (I even quadruple checked) and I realized that I still forgot my camera batter charger (which is essential to my photography class) and a bunch of summer clothes. (It’s hot here!) On the bright side, I didn’t forget my winter coat or gloves. I mean you could just buy a bunch of things when you get here but I imagine that has got to be pretty expensive.  Packing was a struggle but I feel like I packed enough clothes to last me throughout the semester. (I’ll let you know later on if I did pack too much) My family and I were thinking the bags were going to be $65 dollars in total but it actually ended up being $100 dollars (Watch out for that!!).  The first bag was free though so if you feel like you can pack it all into one, Go for it! That second bag was $100 dollars alone and we figured it out when I was already en route to the airport.
As it was time to board the plane it started to pour (Mother Nature is funny in that way) and we were delayed with boarding and take off. We waited the storm out 20-30 minutes and were on our way. Despite those events the plane ride (8hrs 28mins) was smooth, I watched two movies, had dinner and breakfast and took about a nap. Before I knew it, we were landing in Rome.
In the Rome airport, everyone spoke Italian and I only had a short layover time but I managed to make it to my plane on time.  One thing that I noticed is different from an airport in the US is all the planes are parked away from the terminal and buses transport passengers to and from the planes.
Once I arrived in Florence, I opted to do the FUA pick up. Students are checked in at the airport (rather than the school) and given a packet of information about the school and the keys to your apartment. A bus driven by FUA staff took you from the airport directly to your apartment and the FUA staff helped me get my luggage to the apartment. The FUA pick up is a bit more expensive but I do think it was worth it because I didn’t have to try to go to the school and check in by myself. I also didn’t have to carry my luggage up the stairs to my apartment. (I live on the very top floor of my building.)
Inside, there were three bedrooms: a three bedroom with a bathroom attached, a two bedroom with a bedroom attached and a one bedroom with a bathroom down the hall. (I live in the three bedroom) There is also a living room and kitchen. Everything came furnished. The only thing that we really needed to buy was cleaning supplies, toiletries and food.

There is a total of six of us (Five plus me!) in this apartment and everyone seems really nice and cool. I can’t wait to see what this semester has in store for all of us!