Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Cinque Terre



We started out in the second town. (Apparently, the first town really isn’t that interesting) There are some very beautiful views if you know the right spots to go to. Luckily, our tour guide did.

We took the train to the third town, where we had to climb up 380 stairs.  I realized that I’m not in that great of shape, as I had to keep stopping and take little breaks. When we made it to the top of the stairs that is where the third town began.

We had an option to either take the train (and walk down all those stairs) or to hike to the next town.  Hiking made me nervous. I didn't know how far it was exactly and what was going to be involved. Even though I wanted to take the train so badly, I decided to do the hike and I can honestly say I’m better for it.
 
Just knowing that I can hike that far is exhilarating! I had to keep taking breaks to drink water and I was close to being at the end of the group for most of the time but it was totally worth it. The view was amazing!! I stopped to get many pictures along the way. I once again realized that I’m not in that great of shape but it was motivational for me to start working out to be able to get through any future hikes that I may have without struggling.

When we finally made it to the fourth town. My roommate, Taylor, and I grabbed a piece of Pesto Pizza and I was not disappointed.

I thought that it was strange to put pesto on a piece of pizza. But I couldn’t even imagine how delicious it was. If my legs weren’t shaking from climbing up and down a gigantic mountain, I probably would have went back for a second piece.

We took a boat to the fifth and last time. I was nervous to get on the boat because I didn’t like how unsteady the walkway was to get on the boat and it was rocking back and forth too much for my liking. But I took a deep breath and boarded the boat. I’m so glad that I did. The boat ride was fun.

The fifth town was beautiful and we had beach time. If I had a list, I could check swim in the Mediterranean Sea off. The water was cold, the sand was more like pointy rocks and I didn’t want to get my hair wet. But when in Italy, right?

My roommate, Sarah, Taylor and I went to a restaurant that was off the main street on a side street. The prices were cheaper and I got gnocchi pasta with pesto. It was really good but the pasta got to be too much. It was really filling and was more like eating a lot of little dumplings. I also ordered limoncino, which is like a type of lemon liquor that Italians normally drink after dinner to revive their palate and conclude their meal. It is modeled after the southern liquor limoncello. I have to say that while I have not had the limoncello yet. The limoncino was not my favorite. It was very bitter and I had a hard time drinking it. It did cleanse my palate though.
 


I’m glad that I went on this trip. It was life changing. I am blessed to be able to see different cities and take breathtaking pictures.